I have a few pounds of beef back spare ribs for Beth to braise tomorrow. Is this what it feels like to send you kid off to school with strangers?
I didn’t cook a Thanksgiving meal but today I’m making it up with the turkey Beth received from her chiropractor.
- Alton Brown’s roast turkey
- Ree Drummond’s turkey’s brine
- Alton Brown’s green bean casserole
- Tyler Florence’s cornbread dressing
- Sean Brock’s Husk cornbread
- Ree Drummond’s giblet gravy
- Mashed potatoes
My pasts cooking marathons end up with a wrecked kitchen and overestimated times. I’m doing much better today but still have a lot of room to plan better. I finally printed all the recipes instead of flipping back to one of a handful electronic devices. The latest Cook’s Illustrated said a simple iPad stand and a gallon zip bag is the best way to bring an iPad into the kitchen. I think I’ll try that next time.
Pumpkin pie with toppings made by Nolan’s Play-Doh cutters.
Cap’n Cook’s Chili P
My chili won first place (out of one) in the hot category and best overall chili. The prize of two gift cards has redeemed my purchase of a chuck roast and driving all over Franklin to find the dried chilis specified.
No one mentioned the Breaking Bad reference to me. :-(
I made a stir fry last night with sirloin, assorted Publix “gourmet” mushrooms, red onion, & swiss chard. The meat was overcooked but I really liked it.
This morning I made a smoothie with the leftover swiss chard leaves, frozen strawberries, & a banana. It looked like poop.
Reasons I Love Martins BBQ
- Their Nolensville pit, adjacent to the dining area, fills the room with hickory smoke.
- You smell like hickory smoke after you leave.
- Good beer.
- French fries aren’t always served at barbecue joints but Martins does. They serve a fry up a gold potato that is seasoned with course pepper and salt.
- Their menu has all of my favorites. Wings. Pulled Pork. Ribs. Someday I’ll visit a place that makes me believe in brisket but none have.
- Redneck. Taco.
- Whole hot Saturday & Sunday.
It’s my happy place.
Blueberries, spinach, banana, lemon juice, almond milk, ground flax seed.
My superpower would be the ability to speed up time when waiting on dough to chill in the refrigerator.
I made peach pie.